Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Switching to English - Starting Over

Ok, for me, typing in Arabic takes ages, and so as I have taught myself to touch type in English (yes, and it has taken me ages to do that! And I did it all on my own! I'm not sure if it's coming across, but I am very proud of this accomplishment! Goal for Ramadan is going from 30 wpm to 50!) and could use the practice (while having fun blogging too!)I have decided to just go with what makes my life easier and comes more naturally and start blogging in English.




I should be ashamed of myself, I know. Yes I am an Arab, yeah I was born, raised and am currently living in an Arab country, yup I have attended public schools and an all girls university with alot of the other Arabs I know. It's like after all that, blogging in English is sort of pretentious. But the sanity of my fingers is at stake, and dammit, there's no need to get all dramatic about the language used in the blog of a nobody!
Another reason for the switching is that- and I am ashamed to touch type the following because it is just that lame- I have been feeling kinda smug about my "Very Good English". I won't lie or pretend here. Thing is, one of the foreign peeps at work complimented my written English today and was all 'WOW, YOU HAVE VERY GOOD WRITTEN ENGLISH! WHERE DID YOU STUDY?'

Others would find the implication insulting, as in "why are you so excited, huh??? What, you thought I was stupid, is that it???!!! That only a person who learned in some fancy, shmancy, with an American/British/Canadian/German/Other-Western-Country-We-Love-to-Hate-and/or-Hate-to-Love-and/or-Love-to-Love-and/or-Feel-Smug-About-Because-if-it's-Western-it-is-Always-Better-you-Backwards-Peasents! curriculum could ever have good written English, right??? How DARE you!!! Be-gone, Imperialist!"

But I tend to give people the benefit of doubt, because I'm like that. Sometimes.



 
Now that I have explained myself, I will be renovating, fixing, revamping-- simply put, starting over! Yay!

(not that there's much to begin with... but fark the details!)

Next Post: Re-Introduction! Meet Defender of Alternitivia, Bubble-Gum Magical Bunny Girl Snafu!


1 comment:

  1. I like reading blogs written in arabic, but I'll be reading your blog from time to time^^ WELCOME <3

    ReplyDelete