Saturday, October 9, 2010

Labels


For some reason, I used to be obsessed with labeling my lesbianism some time back in my life (specifically speaking in my late teenage hood and about 2 years into young adulthood).


I used to think- at a time when different circumstances meant I did not have a lot of access to the internet (we just didn't have it at home! GASP!)- that a lesbian can only either be a "Boya" or a "Banoota".


That is Arabic for what roughly translates as a butch/femme dynamic.



Once that understanding ingrained itself into my world view, it was very difficult to shake it off. I decided that I was a Banoota and that I was only ever going to have eyes for all the Boyat of the world.





Which was kind of absurd, because to me being a Banoota meant being a girly girl, with a girly girl appearance and a girly girly sense of style, which I just was not at the time.

Now I like to be more feminine in my 'style', though I don't know if I'd call it girly. I mean, I like dresses and high heels (not make up though), but I also adore weight training and would rather have short hair than my current shoulder length luscious locks-- but that too is some twisted thinking, because who said being a Banoota or 'femme' meant you cannot build muscle or only dress in decidedly ungirly clothes?

Nobody said that.

So I will stop saying that, too.

Not for my sake, I've stopped labeling myself.

It's just for the sake of humanity, I guess.

 

3 comments:

  1. For the sake of humanity:D Sometimes you're banoota and sometimes you're boya, and it's very natural...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! finally one "normal" lesbian blog that's all bout real life events and less about the "gay pride" stuff!
    Thumbs up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snafuu look ive made a gmail n blog account just so i can write to u.. i really need to talk to u i know that u dont know me etc.. just one talk i promise <3 plz reply soon i'll be waitin'...

    ReplyDelete